Monday, July 23, 2012

Don't Fire Me for Not Knowing Romney's Position on Global Warming - Huffington Post

I don't mean to sound like a whiner, but Mitt Romney is making it hard for me to do my job.

You see, as the primary editor of and contributor to the Markup blog for the NRDC Action Fund, one of my responsibilities is to keep our readers informed about politicians and the environment. In the middle of a heated presidential campaign, you'd think I would be able to tell you where the two major party candidates stand on our issues.

However, I'd be lying if I said I could. For the record, I blame Mitt Romney. He has changed his position so frequently that I never know what the man is thinking on any given day.

You might recall that last June, Romney told a New Hampshire town hall,

I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that. It's important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may be significant contributors.

Just five months later, Romney officially earned his Tea Party merit badge in denial when he said:

My view is that we don't know what's causing climate change on this planet. And the idea of spending trillions and trillions of dollars to try to reduce CO2 emissions is not the right course for us.

And now it appears Romney may be trying to get back in the good graces of the 70 percent of Americans who do think the climate is changing. Last week, a Romney campaign surrogate, Linda Stuntz, stated that Romney is "certainly not a denier" of global warming. Is this a new (or perhaps I should say "revitalized"?) position or did Stuntz just stop reading her briefing book before she got to the most recent position?

I am hoping that this is Mitt's last flip flop on this issue. Heat waves and droughts are showing average Americans what a warmer world feels like -- and it hurts. It would be nice to have two candidates engaging seriously on an issue of this importance. It would also be nice if Mitt could put a stop to the professional whiplash that I'm experiencing trying to keep track of his positions.

If I can't learn his position soon, I will just have to hope that my bosses don't share his love of firing people.

Follow Heather Taylor-Miesle on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NRDC_AF

No comments:

Post a Comment